Published by Diana Rattray in southernfood.about.com
This everyday meatloaf is made with with lean ground beef or ground round. Serve mashed potatoes with this meatloaf, along with sliced tomatoes or your favorite side vegetables for a delicious everyday family meal.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3/4 shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 pounds ground round or lean ground beef (85% to 90% lean)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add mushrooms, onion, celery, carrots, and water. Heat to boiling; cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are just tender-crisp.
In a large bowl, combine ground beef, flour, seasoned salt, thyme, parsley, soy sauce, and the cooked vegetables. Mix gently and shape into a loaf on a greased, shallow baking pan (with sides). Bake the meatloaf at 350° for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until loaf is crusty and browned.
Serves 6 to 8.