- 3/4 pound top round steak
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (from 3 limes), plus wedges for serving
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 medium green bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large white onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 cup grated white cheddar (2 ounces)
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- Cilantro sprigs, for serving
In a shallow dish or bowl, combine steak, soy sauce, and 1/4 cup lime juice. Refrigerate 1 hour, turning steak occasionally. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon lime juice. Set garlic oil aside.
Remove steak from marinade and blot dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. In a cast-iron or heavy skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high. Cook steak until medium-rare, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and loosely tent with foil.
Add peppers and onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in reserved garlic oil. Thinly slice steak and serve with vegetables, tortillas, cheese, tomato, and cilantro.