Tart Crust (makes 2)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into uniformed-sized cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream, divided
- small glass ice water
- 1 tablespoon sanding sugar or granulated sugar
- 4 cups strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and halved
- 1/4-1/3 cups sugar, depending on the sweetness of your berries
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam, preferably homemade
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- Sift flour, salt, and sugar together by hand or in bowl of standing mixer.
- Add butter to flour mixture. Mix on low speed (or cut into flour quickly by hand) just until it becomes a pebbly mixture, about 30 -45 seconds.
- Whisk together egg yolk and two tablespoons of the cream and mix into lour mixture.
- Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of ice water into mixture and gently combine until the dough starts to hold together. Add more water as needed.
- Gather up the dough and form into two one inch-thick disks. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to four days. The recipe makes double the amount you need; freeze the other half or roll it out and cut it into strips for a lattice topping.
- Meanwhile, mix berries with sugar, lime zest and juice, cornstarch, and jam. Let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a floured surface, roll out one disk of dough to about 1/8 inch-thick. Carefully fold the dough in half and then in quarters to transfer to a pie dish or parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Fill the crust with the berry mixture. Gently gather and fold the overhanging crust over the pie. Brush with the remaining cream and sprinkle generously with sugar.
- If you’re using a pie dish, consider sticking a sheet pan underneath it to catch spills.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until crust is golden and the filling, bubbling.