- 3 scallions, white ends only, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 pinch hot paprika
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup butter, soft
- 4 poussins or 2 small chickens
- Crush the scallions, garlic, cilantro, parsley, salt, sweet paprika, hot paprika, and cumin with a mortar and pestle. Blend in butter.
- Wash poussins or chickens; split them down the back and flatten; dry well; and rub inside and out with butter paste. Let stand at least 1 hour.
- Preheat grill, then cook chicken skin side up. Turn after 2 minutes and baste with any extra paste. Continue to turn and baste until skin is crisp and flesh is firm.