- 2 slices red or white onion
- ¾ pound cucumber (such as 1 long European), peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ pounds ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium size red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, halved, green germs removed
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, plus a little extra for the onion
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup ice water
- Chopped fresh tarragon or slivered fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Put the onion slices in a bowl, cover with cold water and add a few drops of vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients. Drain and rinse with cold water. Cut in half or into smaller pieces.
- Working in 2 batches, blend all of the ingredients except the tarragon or basil leaves in a blender for 2 minutes or longer, until smooth and frothy. Transfer to a bowl or container (a metal bowl is the most efficient for chilling) and chill for at least 2 hours before eating. Garnish each bowl or glass with chopped fresh tarragon or slivered basil leaves.