- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed in refrigerator overnight
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp. water
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb. large carrots, sliced into 1/4" thick rounds
- kosher salt
- 3 tbsp. vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 onions, ends trimmed, peeled and thinly sliced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line half sheet pan with parchment paper. Roll out pastry on lightly floured surface to 11x11-inch square. Using a sharp paring knife, gently score a 1/2" border, carefully cutting halfway through the pastry. Brush lightly with egg wash on the border and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat add 1 tbsp olive oil, carrots and 1/2 tsp salt. Sauté for 10 minutes until edges become golden brown. Add 1 tbsp vegetable stock and cover for 5 minutes. Simultaneously in another large skillet over medium heat melt 2 tbsp butter and sauté onions. Stir ocassionally. Add 2 tbsp stock, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and cook for 2 minutes until moisture is absorbed.
- Since pastry will be puffed up, gently press with fingers to flatten the center area leaving the border raised. Sprinkle cheese evenly all over center, then evenly layer onions and lastly, spread out the carrots. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.