- 3 to 4 romaine hearts
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme, oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Prep the romaine hearts—pull off any old leaves. Chop off the top 1 or 2 inches of the lettuce head, and shave off the browned part of the root end, leaving the root end intact so that the lettuce head stays together.
- Prepare your grill for high, direct heat. Paint the lettuce hearts all over with the vinaigrette. Prepare the vinaigrette. Put the oil, vinegar, herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk with a fork to combine.
- Grill the romaine hearts until lightly browned on all sides, turning every minute or two until done.
- Serve immediately. You can either serve the hearts whole, or chop them and toss them for a salad.