- 2 cups (about ¼ pound) tightly packed fresh basil leaves, tightly packed
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine vinegar, basil, garlic, mustard, sugar and honey in a food processor or blender. Puree mixture until smooth and bright green.
- With motor running, slowly add the salad oil to form an emulsion*.
- Add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. If not serving immediately, store in an airtight jar or container in the refrigerator.
* An easy (and mess-free) way to do this is to place a piece of plastic wrap over the top (uncovered) of the blender container. Push the plastic wrap down a bit (so it droops), then cover with the blender lid. Remove center insert from the blender cover (usually clear plastic) and poke a few holes in the plastic wrap with a toothpick or wooden skewer. Slowly add the oil, adding more as it drizzles down into the basil mixture.