- 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, halved
- 3 large red onions, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch wedges (keep root ends intact)
- 6 carrots, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 8 large shallots, halved lengthwise
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F with racks in upper and lower thirds. Oil 2 large rimmed baking sheets.
- Toss potatoes, onions, carrots, and shallots with oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Divide vegetable mixture between baking sheets.
- Roast vegetables, stirring occasionally and switching position of sheets halfway through, until vegetables are tender and golden, about 1 hour.