- 2 teaspoons fish sauce, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 large or 4 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 seedless English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh Thai or regular basil, cut into a chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Whisk together the fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sliced tomato, cucumber, scallions, and jalapeño, basil, and cilantro; gently toss to coat.