2 heads of romanesco, cut into florets, washed and rinsed
1 small brown onion, chopped
3 tbsps olive oil
2 cups of chicken stock
½ cup of heavy cream
1 tbsp of sugar
4 pieces of prosciutto
Salt and pepper to taste
Dollop of pesto, optional
Romanesco florets for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Place the romanesco florets in a roasting tray, drizzle with 2 tbsps of olive oil, and roast for 30 minutes.
2. Place the prosciutto in a separate roasting pan and roast for 10-15 minutes, or until crispy.
3. Heat the remaining olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the chopped onions and saute at medium heat until soft and golden, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the romanesco and chicken stock and cook until tender about 15-20 minutes.
5. Place the romanesco mixture in a food processor and process until smooth.
6. Return the romanesco puree to the saucepan, stir in the cream, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
7. Add sugar and salt to taste.
8. When ready to serve, ladle the soup into bowls, add prosciutto and pepper. Garnish with a few romanesco florets and a swirl of pesto.