Apple cider and maple syrup sweetness are the perfect foil for turnip's earthy character. Serve these alongside roasted chicken, pork, fish, or lamb.
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided (or olive oil)
- 2 pounds turnips, peeled and cut into sticks
- 2/3 cup apple cider
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9-x-13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter, then arrange turnips in dish in a single layer. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons butter, cider, salt and pepper in a small pot and cook over medium heat until melted and well combined. Pour this mixture evenly over turnips.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Then, uncover, stir turnips and continue to bake, stirring occasionally, until fork tender and liquid has reduced, 20 to 30 minutes more. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.