- 6 carrots
- 3 large beets
- 2 leeks (you could also use scallions)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil
- 4 ounces of cheese – chevre, feta, cheddar - it's up to you!
- fresh black pepper
- Scrub your beets clean and cut the stems off. You can leave the roots while they steam, this actually makes them sweeter!
- In a large saucepan covered with a lid, steam your beets whole until soft, about 10-15 mins. Check them regularly and add more water as needed.
- After about 10 mins, you can add your carrots to the same pan or use a different pan if you would like to preserve the individual flavors.
- While your veggies are steaming, prepare your leeks.
- Drizzle olive oil a large sauce pan over med high heat, and add minced garlic and chopped leeks. Stir and cook for several minutes until slightly soft.
- Once your veggies are done, layer them in a baking dish. Drizzle them with tamari, fresh cracked pepper, and crumbled cheese.
- Broil at 500 degrees until the cheese is golden brown. Let cool and serve!