From Amy at She Wears Many Hats; adjustments made for Intervale Food Hub members
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup heavy cream (or half and half)
- Zest of one orange, approx. 1-2 teaspoons
- Juice of one orange, approx. ¼ cup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- ¼ cup blueberry preserves (or favorite preserves)
- 8 slices of sturdy bread, sliced thick (I used a multigrain)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Lightly whisk the eggs, cream, orange zest, juice, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, sugar and salt together in a shallow baking dish to combine.
- In a separate bowl mix together cream cheese and preserves.
- Make 4 sandwiches using the cream cheese mixture.
- Carefully dip each sandwich in the egg mixture; be sure to flip being careful to cover all sides completely. Let them rest on a plate while you prepare the griddle or skillet.
- Heat griddle or skillet over low-medium heat. Depending on how much room you have to cook each sandwich, you’ll need to split the butter between batches, roughly using ½ tablespoon per sandwich.
- Place sandwiches on heated griddle or skillet, and cook 3-5 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Cut in quarters or halves. Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar and/or syrup.