From Linda Caroline for Allrecipes.com; adjustments made for Intervale Food Hub members
- 1 (12 ounce) package bow tie pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped, or 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Cook sausage and pepper flakes until sausage is evenly brown. Stir in onion, garlic and fresh tomatoes, and cook until onion is tender and tomatoes just begin to soften. Stir in cream and salt (if using canned tomatoes instead of fresh, add them at this stage). Simmer until mixture thickens, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir cooked pasta into sauce, and heat through. Sprinkle with parsley.