Recipe and photo from J. Kenji López-Alt for Serious Eats; adjustments made for Intervale Food Hub members
- 1 1/2 pounds (675g) ripe tomatoes, mixed sizes, at room temperature
- 8 to 12 ounces (225 to 340g) fresh mozzarella cheese, torn into bite-size chunks
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt, such as Maldon or fleur de sel
- Coarsely ground fresh black pepper
- 6 to 8 fresh basil leaves
Cut tomatoes into an assortment of slices and chunks and spread over a large plate in a single, slightly overlapping layer. Tuck chunks of mozzarella into the tomato pieces. Drizzle generously with extra-virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and black pepper. Tear basil leaves into small pieces with your fingertips and spread them on top. Serve immediately.