Recipe courtesy of Cookie & Kate
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup)
1 tablespoon arrowroot starch (or cornstarch)
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoon water
Cranberry Orange Steel Cut Oats:
3 cups water
1 cup almond milk (or other milk: cow’s milk, coconut milk, etc.)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter (or coconut oil)
1 cup steel-cut oats
¼ teaspoon salt
Zest of one orange and juice of one orange
Cranberry sauce (recipe provided above)
Optional garnishes: toasted and chopped pecans and/or yogurt
For the cranberry sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Stir constantly for about 3 to 6 minutes, until the cranberries pop, the sauce thickens and turns red. That’s it!
For the oats:
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and milk to a simmer over medium heat. In the meantime, melt the butter (or coconut oil) in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Toast the oats, stirring occasionally, until golden and fragrant, around 1½ to 2 minutes.
- Stir the oats into the simmering water/milk mixture. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, until the mixture is very thick.
- Stir in the salt. Continue to simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, until almost all of the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. The oatmeal should be very creamy at this point. Stir in the orange zest and juice, and let the oatmeal stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Portion into bowls and top with cranberry sauce, toasted pecans, a splash of almond milk and/or Greek yogurt.
MAKE IT DAIRY FREE/VEGAN: Just substitute coconut oil for the butter, and choose a non-dairy milk.
MAKE IT GLUTEN FREE: Use certified gluten-free steel-cut oats.
PREPARATION TIPS: If you ignore the orange zest and juice part of the recipe, you'll have a basic recipe for super creamy steel cut oats, which you can top any way you'd like. Nut butters, fruit (fresh or defrosted), toasted nuts, compotes, jam and honey are all good ideas. Greek yogurt is highly recommended.