- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, unpeeled and diced.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- ½ head green cabbage, thinly shredded
- 2 jalapenos, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger
- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- ⅔ cup regular coconut milk
- cilantro for topping
- salt to taste
- Pour lentils, broth, and sweet potatoes into a large pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 30-45 minutes, or until lentils and sweet potatoes are just barely done cooking. Add the turmeric, tomatoes and ginger to the pot and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet. Add garlic, onions, and jalapenos. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook for 10 minutes, or until cabbage is cooked through.
- Add cabbage to lentil pot and stir in coconut milk. Top with cilantro.