From Midwest Living; adjustments made for Intervale Food Hub members
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup almonds, toasted and finely chopped
- 2 cups 1/2-inch-thick sliced rhubarb (fresh or frozen, thawed and drained)*
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon purevanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees . Place butter in a 9-inch round cake pan. Place pan in oven for 5 minutes or until butter melts. Remove pan from oven. Sprinkle almonds over butter in pan. Arrange rhubarb over almonds in a single layer. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the sugar.
- In a small bowl, stir together almond flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the sugar, the almond extract and vanilla with an electric mixer on high for 2 minutes or until light and thickened. Stir in flour mixture.
- Thoroughly clean and dry beaters. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold egg white mixture, one-fourth at a time, into egg yolk mixture. Spoon batter over fruit mixture in pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden brown and springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen cake from sides of pan. Invert onto a serving plate, replacing any rhubarb that stays in pan. Serve warm or cool.