From Gene Gerrard at divoondining.com; adjustments made for Intervale Food Hub members
The key to this elegant salad is the delicious French vinaigrette, which takes only a minute or two to whisk together and can be prepared ahead of time. The minced egg yolks and egg whites sprinkled in the center and around the salad mimic the delicate blossom of a mimosa tree.
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 10-12 oz. mesclun or 1 head butter lettuce
- Pepper to taste
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, whites and yolks separated and minced
1. Mince the garlic clove, then sprinkle with the salt, and using the back of a large kitchen knife, grind the garlic to a coarse paste.
2. Combine the lemon juice, mustard, vinegar, shallot and garlic paste in a medium bowl. Whisk in the olive oil in a gradual stream until thickened and emulsified.
3. Tear the lettuce into bite-sized pieces and toss gently with ¼ cup of the dressing, then taste and add teaspoons of dressing as desired. Place a mound of the salad on chilled plates. Season lightly with fresh ground pepper.
4. Sprinkle the minced egg whites around the salad mound, then sprinkle the minced egg yolks on the top of the salad and serve.