Recipe and photo from Gina Homolka at Skinny Taste; adjustments made for Intervale Food Hub members
- 2 cups Baby Bella or oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 tsp butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 8 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp chopped parsley
- Heat chicken stock in a small pot and keep on low heat.
- In a medium size heavy sauce pan, saute garlic in 1 tsp olive oil.
- Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 cup of the chicken stock and let the mushrooms cook about 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Add butter to the pan and set flame to medium-low heat. Add shallots, sauté about 1 minute.
- Add rice, mixing well until well-coated and translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add wine, salt and pepper and mix well until it is absorbed into the rice.
- Ladle 1 cup stock into rice and mix until all stock is absorbed, add another ladle, and continue adding and stirring until all broth is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, Parmesan cheese and parsley, mix well and serve.