- 1 red cabbage
- 75g sea salt
- 325 ml cider vinegar
- 125 ml balsamic vinegar
- 500ml red wine
- 325g white sugar
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2-3 whole dried red chillies
- Optional: 1 cinnamon stick, broken into three pieces
- Optional: 6 cloves
- Remove most outer leaves of cabbage and cut into quarters. Finely shred the cabbage, leaving behind the tough inner core. Layer shredded cabbage in a bowl, sprinkle with salt in between layers and leave to sit for about 4 hours.
- Rinse and drain the cabbage, remove most of the salt and dry with a clean tea towel.
- In a small sauce pan heat vinegars, wine and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is disolved. Continue to boil until liquid has reduced by half.
- Using a mortar and pestle roughly crush all the spices except for the cloves and the cinnamon. Add the crushed spiced, along with the cloves and the cinnamon, to the vinegar and let sit, off the heat, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, turn on oven to 225 degrees and wash 2 500ml canning jars and lids with hot soapy water. To sterilize, place clean and dry jars into the hot oven for at least 20 minutes before packing.
- Pack the cabbage into sterilized jars and using a fine mesh sieve, strain the vinegars over the cabbage. Seal and let cool. Keep refrigerated. Best if you wait 2 weeks before giving it a try to get a good pickle. Will last about 3 months. Makes 2 500ml jars.