From Marian Cooper Cairns for Country Living; photo by Brian Woodcock; adjustments made for Intervale Food Hub members
- 5 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. fennel seeds, toasted and crushed
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 romaine hearts, cut lengthwise into quarters (or 1 head red leaf lettuce, torn into pieces)
- 2 Persian cucumbers, sliced
- 2 navel or Cara Cara oranges, segmented
- 1/2 c. kalamata olives, torn or cut in half
- optional: 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Combine oil, vinegar, fennel seeds, and mustard in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid. Season with salt and pepper. Shake to combine.
- Arrange romaine in a 13-by-9-inch dish. Top with cucumbers, oranges, optional sliced fennel, and olives. Cover and chill up to 1 day. Just before serving, drizzle with vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper.