Recipe courtesy of Melissa's Southern Style Kitchen
2½ lb top round or sirloin steak, cubed
¼ cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp Montreal steak seasoning
1 green onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 lb mushrooms, sliced
1 large yellow onion, sliced into thin wedges
½-1 tsp Montreal steak seasoning
¼ tsp salt
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 cup heavy cream
- Place the steak in a large plastic storage bag. Whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, steak seasoning, minced onion and garlic. Shake to coat. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- To prepare, heat a few drizzles of oil in a large skillet. Remove the steak from the marinade and add to the pan. Discard the marinade.
- Saute the steak for around 5 minutes or until your desired doneness and browned. Remove from the pan.
- Add additional olive oil to the pan. Saute the mushrooms and onions for 5-7 minutes scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Season with an additional ½-1 tsp of steak seasoning salt and fresh thyme leaves. Adjust seasonings to your taste.
- After the mushrooms and onions have browned and the juices released have evaporated add the cream.
- Mix thoroughly and add the steak back to the pan cooking just until heated through.
- Serve immediately over mashed potatoes or buttered rice.