From Susie Ott for Health; photo by Yunhee Kim; adjustments made for Intervale Food Hub members
- 12 ounces uncooked whole-wheat penne (or other small shaped pasta)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes, pear or cherry tomatoes (about 1/2 pound), or 1/2 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach or arugula leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, warm the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and broth; bring to a simmer, and cook 5 minutes or until the tomatoes soften and some liquid evaporates. Use a wooden spoon to lightly crush tomatoes. Slowly stir in spinach or arugula; cook, stirring, 2 minutes or until leaves wilt.
Drain pasta. In serving bowl, toss pasta with warm tomato-spinach sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cheese.