Recipe from Jenna at Eat, Live, Run; adjustments made for Intervale Food Hub members
- 1 bunch Swiss chard washed and leaves chopped (stems reserved for another use)
- 3 cloves green garlic or 1 clove regular garlic, minced
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 whole large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
for cilantro butter
- 4 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro (or try other herb combinations, like the dill found in this week's basket!)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Wilt the chard with the garlic in 2 tbsp water over medium heat. Continue cooking until all water has evaporated and chard/garlic are looking dry. Set aside.
In a blender, combine the flour, milk, melted butter, egg, lemon juice, salt, cumin, and baking powder. Process briefly then add the chard and garlic. Process until all combined.
Cook pancakes in additional melted butter over medium-high heat for about 30 seconds per side, or until golden.
To make the compound butter, place softened butter, cilantro and lemon juice in a bowl and mash together with a spoon until all combined. Use immediately on pancakes or wrap up in plastic wrap and chill.