Classic Apple Pie
This is just one of many excellent apple pie recipes, adapted from the NYT. Use apples that will stay firm while cooking, such as Macouns, or a mix of varieties.
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add apples and stir to coat with butter.
- Combine spices, salt, and sugar and stir into apple mixture. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for approx. 5 minutes until apples are slightly soft.
- Add flour and cornstarch to apples and stir, cooking for 5 more minutes.
- Transfer apples to a large bowl and add apple cider vinegar. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 425F with a baking sheet in middle rack
- Line a pie pan with dough and chill in freezer for 20 min.
- Add filling to pan and cover with remaining crust of dough (rolled out), and crimp edges together with fork or fingers. Cut vent holes in top of crust and brush with egg. (Optional: sprinkle with sugar.)
- Bake for 20 min on baking sheet, then reduce to 375 and cook for 30-40 minutes until filling is bubbling and crust is golden brown.
- Cool for 2 hours then enjoy!