Chocolate Beet Muffins
Rich, earthy beet puree and creamy dark chocolate are combined in these delicious and nutritious muffins. Stir in coconut flakes and almond extract for an extra flavor and texture boost.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup beet puree (from about 2 medium sized beets, steamed and pureed)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups AP flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes or walnuts
- 1 teaspoon almond extract and/or vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease muffin tin,
- Combine eggs, beet puree, oil/butter, maple syrup or honey, almond extract, and brown sugar. Stir in milk.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add dry mixture to wet just until combined, then fold in coconut flakes and chocolate chips.
- Scoop into muffin tins and top with more chocolate chips, then bake for 15-25 min until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 min, then turn out on a wire rack to cool fully.