- 2.5 pounds shallots, peeled
- 1.5 cups apple cider
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- salt and pepper
- Combine shallots, cider, cider vinegar, butter, maple syrup, ¼ tsp. salt in a large skillet. Bring to boil over medium high heat.
- Cover and lower heat to rolling simmer.
- Cook until shallots are tender but still a bit crispy, about 30 minutes. The liquid should reduce by half.
- Uncover skillet and cook until liquid evaporates and shallots begin to brown (5-10 min)
- Cook, stirring often, until shallots are covered in caramelized sauce (5-10 min).
- Add ¼ cup water or apple cider to skillet and stir , coating shallots in sauce and scraping up any extra residue on pan. Season and enjoy.