Classic Creamed Greens
Make a big batch of creamed greens with kale, spinach, or a combination of the two. Comforting and hearty, this is a great side dish that can also be made vegan with this coconut milk recipe.
- Prep veggies: peel and mince/grate garlic; peel and finely slice shallot. Stem kale by holding stem in one hand and stripping off leaves with other, then roll up into tight bundle and slice into thin strips. (Alternatively, use a pizza cutter to slice!) Stem spinach if using and slice.
- Heat a skillet (preferably cast-iron) over medium. Add 2 Tbsp butter and heat until bubbling, then reduce heat to low and add garlic and shallot, stirring, until aromatic and golden. (Approx 5 min)
- Add cream to skillet and simmer for approx 10 minutes until slightly reduced, then add a pinch of nutmeg and salt. Taste and adjust as needed.
- In separate large skillet or pot, heat 4 Tbsp butter over high, then add greens and cook until tender and very bright green. Add cream and stir to combine.
- Lower heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 5 min.
- Season to taste and enjoy!