Easy Carrot Cake
Sweeten up with some simple carrot cake, adapted from Bon Appetit.
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ¾ cup vegetable oil, plus more for pan
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon, plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- ¾ lb. carrots
- 2 tsp. fresh minced ginger
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Pinch of salt to bowl
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle position. Grease a loaf pan or similar volume equivalent (brownie pan, cake pan, or muffin tin).
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Coarsely grate carrots and add to bowl with dry ingredients. Add fresh ginger.
- In another bowl, add 8oz of softened cream cheese and 1½ cups sugar. Mix together until smooth. Add 2 eggs and stir until cohesive, then add vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and combine, then add to pan, leaving 1/2" of room above batter.
- Bake for about an hour and a half, or until tester comes out clean. (Start testing early if using a smaller pan.) Let cool for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting: add 8 oz. cream cheese, ¼ cup sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, and a pinch of salt to bowl. Mix with spatula until frosting is smooth and shiny. Cover and refrigerate while cake cools, then frost.