Go-To Butter Crust
Keep your ingredients cool and you'll be rewarded with an incredibly flaky, light crust.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Strongly encouraged: put mixing bowl with flour (uncovered) in freezer for 20 minutes to chill.
- Cut butter into small cubes, then put in freezer for at least 10 minutes to chill.
- Remove butter and flour from freezer. Using a pastry mixer or cold hands, combine butter and flour until largest butter pieces are the size of peas and overall mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Do not overhandle.
- Add ice water to mixture a tablespoon at a time and mix until a ball just sticks together.
- Flatten into a disk and wrap tightly in bees wrap, plastic wrap, or a bag. Chill in fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate.