Holiday Seitan Roast
If you're craving a protein-rich meal that looks great on the holiday table, try this seitan roast. Serve with vegan gravy!
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 lb. seitan, divided into half
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. AP flour
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
- 8 oz. baby carrots
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large parsnip, chopped
- 1 lb fingerling purple potatoes
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine salt, pepper, and paprika in small bowl. Rub over seitan.
- Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add seitan, and brown 6 minutes, turning to cook all sides. Remove seitan from pan, and set aside
- Add remaining 1 Tbs. oil to pan, sprinkle with flour, and reduce heat to medium. Cook 3 minutes, or until smooth roux forms.
- Add wine, then tomato paste, broth, tamari, thyme, and rosemary; cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken.
- Transfer seitan to roasting pan. Surround with carrots, celery, parsnip, potatoes, and onions. Pour sauce over top.
- Cover with foil, and roast 35 to 45 minutes. Remove foil, and roast 10 to 15 minutes more. Thinly slice seitan, and serve with vegetables and sauce.