Lanttulaatikko (Rutabaga Casserole)
Cozy, fluffy, and mildly sweet, this Finnish casserole is an excellent winter side dish.
- 3 rutabagas (about 1.5lbs)
- 1/3 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dark maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (dried or fresh)
- white pepper and salt
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Butter (4-5 tablespoons)
- Peel and cube rutabagas. Preheat oven to 325F.
- Put in pot and cover with water until just submerged. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook until very tender (approx 30 min).
- Once cooked, drain and mash (or blend) rutabagas until fairly smooth. Leave a few larger pieces for texture.
- Transfer puree (approx 2 cups) to bowl, and add egg, milk/cream, syrup, and spices (salt and pepper to taste). Mix.
- Pour mixture into a greased oven-safe dish (approx 9"x9").
- Cover top with breadcrumbs and dot with slices of butter.
- Bake in middle rack of oven for about 1 hour or until top is golden-brown.