Pickled Watermelon Radishes
You can pickle most anything, but watermelon radishes are particularly snappy and enjoyable.
- 1 or 2 watermelon radishes
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns, lightly crushed
- Wash your watermelon radishes well, making sure to remove any dirt. Using a mandoline or a sharp knife, thinly slice your watermelon radishes into discs, then place in a clean canning jar.
- In a non-reactive saucepan, bring the water, vinegar, salt, and sugar to a boil, and simmer for one minute or until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Remove from heat and add the garlic and peppercorns. Pour the hot liquid including the garlic and peppercorns over the radishes.
- Let cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate.