Potato Leek Soup
Classic, creamy, and quick. Potatoes and leeks shine in this French soup.
- Glug olive oil
- 4 large leeks, rough dark green tops cut off
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- Chives, finely chopped, for serving
- Heat olive oil over medium in large soup pot. Dice leeks and mince garlic, then add to pot and cook until tender, about 10 min.
- Cube potatoes and add to pot with broth, bay leaves, and thyme. Bring to a boil the reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are very soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove thyme and bay leaves, then puree with an immersion blender. (Or carefully transfer to blender and puree, then return to pot.)
- Add cream/milk and bring soup to simmer, then re-season and adjust thickness (cook more if too thin, add milk/broth if too thick).
- Enjoy or freeze for future use!