Produce Package Contents, Week of 9/5/2022
Welcome to September! Congrats to the households who have transitioned back to school this week, and to those who weathered Tuesday’s sudden & severe storms. (Those wind gusts flattened a few of my sunflowers!) We’re peak season now, we’ll be transitioning to autumn harvest veggies before long! Let’s do our best to enjoy these last few weeks of summertime.
Produce Package, Week of 9/5/22:
- Mesclun Mix from Diggers Mirth Collective Farm in Burlington, VT. Store tender greens in your crisper in your fridge, away from ethylene-producing fruits. Leaving the bag open slightly - or transferring the greens to a larger container - can allow them to breathe a bit, extending their storage time. Enjoy in 3-5 days. Certified Organic.
- Slicer Cucumbers from Jericho Settlers Farm. Cucumbers can store well at room temperature for a few days, or store in your crisper drawer – though don't let them dry out. I like to give cucumbers a quick bath in cold water when I get them home, then pat dry & store in the fridge. Certified Organic.
- Sweet Corn from Burnt Rock Farm in Huntington VT and River Berry Farm in Fairfax, VT. Sweet Corn is best enjoyed right away! If you plan to store it for a few days, place it inside a plastic bag in your crisper drawer. A perforated produce bag, or leaving the bag slightly open can help the corn to breathe a bit. Certified Organic.
- Scallions from Honey Field Farm in Norwich, VT. Store scallions in your fridge’s crisper drawer (if they can fit!), or gently wrapped in a slightly damp towel. Best enjoyed in 3-5 days. Certified Organic.
- Italian Frying Peppers from Intervale Community Farm in Burlington, VT. Store peppers bagged in one's vegetable crisper drawer, ideally a bag with holes for air circulation. Properly stored, peppers can stay fresh for 1-2 weeks. Certified Organic.
- Hot Wax Peppers / Mixed Hot Peppers (Variety Produce Package only) from Honey Field Farm in Norwich, VT. Store peppers bagged in one's vegetable crisper drawer, ideally a bag with holes for air circulation. Properly stored, peppers can stay fresh for 1-2 weeks. Certified Organic.
- Corn Chowder! – Now that the heat has broken, soup is back on the menu. Creamy, sweet, delicious comfort food! Be sure to grab some potatoes and stock (either chicken or veggie) to accompany your peppers & sweet corn. Or just buy some Corn Chowder and tell your friends you made it) Full recipe available here: Corn and Bell Pepper Chowder
- Ajvar & Muhammara - Serbian and Syrian dishes respectively – are both smoky, savory & flavorful spreads centered on sweet peppers. Both recipes tend to favor red peppers, but any ripened & sweet pepper should do nicely. Both recipes also prepare the peppers by grilling & blackening the peppers, before skinning, seeding, and blending with the remaining ingredients. It’s a fun kitchen project to try (you can share the labor of seeding & skinning the peppers with friends & family), and the resulting spreads are absolutely delicious. Grab some additional peppers if you want to scale up your recipe a bit!