Quick Pickled Red Onions
A very versatile condiment that adds the perfect tang to soups, chilis, tacos, eggs, sandwiches, and potatoes.
- Approx. 2 red onions
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Peel onion and slice into thin rings. (A mandoline slicer is great for this.)
- Pack tightly into mason jars.
- Combine rice vinegar, salt, and sugar into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Simmer pickling brine until salt and sugar are fully dissolved, then pour over packed onions, submerging fully.
- Screw lids onto jars and place in fridge for at least 1 hour before using.
Note: quick-pickling is the same as refrigerator pickling, and does NOT create a shelf-stable pickle. These need to be refrigerated at all times and store for about 2-3 weeks.