Creamy spinach and salty feta, combined in this recipe adapted from Bon Appetit.
- 1/4 cup ghee or olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2" ginger
- 1 lb. spinach
- 1 small Indian green chile or serrano chile, coarsely chopped
- 1-2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 6oz. feta, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp. asafetida (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. red chili powder
- Roti or rice (for serving)
- Heat ghee/olive oil in a large skillet over medium. Cook coriander seeds and cardamom, stirring constantly, until starting to brown, about 2 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Mix in garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add spinach by the handful, letting it wilt slightly after each addition before adding more. Cook until all of the spinach is just wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add chile and lime juice; season with salt. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Transfer spinach mixture to a blender (reserve skillet) and blend until a coarse paste forms, about 1 minute. Return spinach mixture to pan and set over low heat. Stir in ½ cup water, then gently fold in feta, being careful not to break up. Cook until feta is slightly softened and has absorbed some of the sauce, 5–7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 Tbsp. ghee in a small saucepan over medium-high, 1 minute. Add cumin seeds. As soon as cumin seeds start to pop, sputter, and brown, remove from heat, 1 minute tops. Immediately add asafetida, if using, and chili powder. Pour ghee mixture over spinach mixture. Serve with roti or rice.