Stuffed Koginut Squash
Warm and comforting, this stuffed squash is grain-free and full of flavor.
- 2 koginut squash
- 1 pound hot italian sausage
- 7 oz mixed mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion
- 1-2 cups kale
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 8 oz cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cut squash in half and remove the seeds. Coat squash with olive oil and place, cut side down, on baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for roughly 45-60 minutes until fork slides easily into squash. Remove from oven, flip squash over, and let cool. (Do not turn off oven.)
- While squash is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Remove sausage from casing and break apart. Cook in skillet until browned and crumbly, then remove with a slotted spoon, leaving greases in pan.
- Peel and dice onion and add to pan, cooking for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Add diced mushrooms and cook until tender. (Optional: add half-cup of white wine with mushrooms and let cook until no liquid remains in pan. Tear kale into small pieces and add to pan, cooking until just wilted.
- Grate cheese and mince rosemary. Mix egg, rosemary, yogurt, and most of the cheese in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Combine sausage and cheese mixtures and spoon into squash cavities, sprinkling extra cheese on top.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes. If needed, turn on the broiler to crisp up the tops. Enjoy!