Sweet Potato Pie
Dense and creamy, sweet potato pie is a direct rival of pumpkin pie. Put them both to the test this Thanksgiving!
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (about 2-3 potatoes)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 3 eggs and 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- black pepper
- 1 single pie crust
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Prick sweet potatoes all over and place on baking sheet, then roast for about an hour (rotating halfway) until soft.
- Meanwhile, roll out single crust dough into pie dish, then chill in freezer until potatoes are finished.
- Remove potatoes from oven and reduce heat to 375F, then line chilled crust with foil or parchment paper, fill with dry beans or pie weights, and bake for 15 min. Remove from oven and gently remove weights and foil.
- When cool, puree potatoes until smooth and measure out 2 cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all filling ingredients until smooth.
- Pour filling into blind baked pie crust, then return pie to oven and bake for 40-50 minutes until filling is set.
- Cool and serve with whipped cream.