Vegan Mushroom Gravy
Don't skimp on the mushrooms or miso - they add a richness and umami flavor that makes this gravy so delicious.
- 2-3 pints shiitake mushrooms
- 2-3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp miso paste (to taste)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 yellow onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsp AP flour
- 1 tsp minced fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh rosemary (or sub dried)
- salt & pepper
- Prep veggies: dice shiitake mushrooms (including stems). Peel and dice yellow onions; peel and mince garlic. Mince herbs.
- Heat large skillet over medium, then coat with oil. Add mushrooms and sautee until browned and starting to get tender, about 5 min.
- Add onions and sautee until soft and transparent, around 5min.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant (approx 1-2 min).
- Sprinkle in AP flour, stirring to coat evenly for approx 2 min.
- Add herbs and 2 cups broth, as well as miso paste. Bring to a simmer, then cook for 2-3min.
- Transfer ingredients to blender (or large bowl for immersion blender). Blend until smooth, then return to skillet and heat through.
- Thicken gravy by removing 1/4 cup and whisking in 1-2tsp AP flour, then adding back to large batch. Repeat.
- Thin gravy by adding more broth as needed.